Malware researchers have the need to collect malware samples to research threat techniques and develop defenses. Researchers can collect such samples using honeypots. They can also download samples from known malicious URLs. They can also obtain malware samples from the following sources:
- Contagio Malware Dump: Free; password required
- Das Malwerk: Free
- KernelMode.info: Free; registration required
- MalShare: Free; registration required
- Malware.lu’s AVCaesar: Free; registration required
- MalwareBlacklist: Free; registration required
- Malware DB: Free
- Malwr: Free; registration required
- Open Malware: Free
- theZoo aka Malware DB: Free
- Virusign: Free
- VirusShare: Free
Be careful not to infect yourself when accessing and experimenting with malicious software!
Thanks to Mila for outlining many of these sources in her blog posting on the topic.
My other lists of online security resources outline Automated Malware Analysis Services and On-Line Tools for Malicious Website Lookups. Also, take a look at tips sharing malware samples with other researchers.