Some time ago I conducted a project during which I asked visitors to my site to tell me what inspires them—things they consider “natural highs.” As a result of this effort, I’ve collected more than two thousand statements, which I am happy to present here.
So as not to overwhelm you, I’ve configured this page to display several such statements at random. You can see a new set by reloading the page.
- When my roommate’s cat started sleeping next to me.
- Playing in the snow on christmas eve.
- Finding a bill in an old jacket pocket.
- Cooking breakfast on the porch of a hut high in the wilderness of the Tararua Ranges (NZ).
- Having the car packed to perfection, just waiting for you to get behind the wheel and…go. Freedom!
- The night before your first trip home since going away to college.
- Eating a piece of pure chocolate.
- Playing trombone at a hockey game and getting a song right, just as the arena is quiet.
- Hearing your husband’s key in the door.
- Getting flowers the day before Valentine’s Day.
- Meeting my online love in person for the first time and finding out we’re in love in “real life”, too.
- Seeing a comet for the first time.
- Watching older couples holding hands and seeing a deep love they share.
- Reading poetry that makes you cry.
- Acting on an opportunity—there is nothing sadder than a missed one.